"We dream of a world where no child suffers from lack of access to safe surgery."
Operation Smile was founded in 1982 when Dr. William (Bill) P. Magee, Jr., a plastic surgeon, and his wife, Kathleen (Kathy), a nurse and clinical social worker, traveled to the Philippines with a group of medical volunteers to repair children's cleft lips and cleft palates.
What they found was overwhelming. In Naga City, approximately 300 families arrived hoping their children would receive surgery, but the team could only treat 40 children. As they prepared to leave, the Magees made a promise they would return to help more children
After receiving surgery, each child receives a Smile Bag, the perfect gift to cheer up a healing child.
Smile Bags are filled with small personal care items as well as toys, stickers and a mirror to see their new smile. We need community volunteers to collect personal care items and sew cloth Smile Bags.
Operation Smile is in need of the following items to include in a patient's Smile Bag:
• Small shampoo (.85 to 1.4 oz size, screw-on top only)
• Small comb (no rat tails)
• New wash cloth
• Bar of soap (small hotel size)
• Travel-sized toothpaste (at least 6 months from expiration date)
• Child-sized toothbrush (single package)
• Small stuffed animal (Beanie Baby® size)
• 8-pack box of non-toxic crayons
• Thin 8.5” x 11” coloring book
• Small square mirror (approximate size 3”x 3”)
Please do not send personal hygiene items such as dental floss, body lotion, and baby oil.
Additionally, we will not accept large personal hygiene items considering the volume of items we will need to ship to a medical mission site. We will not accept any type of food product, like candy and gum; shipping regulations prohibit sending food items across international borders.
Download instructions and content list
HOW TO MAKE SMILE BAGS
Smile Bags are 14"H by 12”W, made of sturdy cotton fabric and are closed by a drawstring at the top. The bag is sized to hold a thin, 8.5” x 11” coloring book. Follow the instructions below to create your own Smile Bag:
• Sewing machine
• Iron and ironing board
• Shears or scissors
• Sewing pins
• Brightly colored, sturdy cotton fabric
• Cotton cording or sturdy ribbon for the drawstring
• Tacky Glue® or Stop Fray®